Thursday, March 19, 2009

It Worked !!

After a tiring day, I was walking towards my room at 1 AM in the night. Climbed the stairs and when I was at the last turn which would lead me to my room, I heard a continuous loud noise. Sounded like some waterfall. Went to the window to check out what was going on and it seemed to be some kind of over flow. It should either be a water tank overflow or a break of pipe leading to uncontrolled water flow. It was quiet a heavy noise and seemed like lot of water was going underutilized.

I was too tired and lazy to climb the hundred stairs again. I said to myself, "How many times will you keep doing this. To what extent will you do this. There is no end to it". The background to this being switching off lights in bathrooms in hostel, conference rooms at work place and closing the taps whenever there was no one to use them. Every time I answered to myself, "let me do whatever I can, instead of taking this lame excuse of how long and to what extent and in parallel put in some efforts to convey the importance".

After some internal negotiations, I decided, let me take it to the notice of people responsible for it and there I can leave it. The onus would be on that person. It would be his choice to do whatever he would want to. If he acts on it, well and good and if he doesn't let him feel the guilt. At least I need not! So, accordingly, I went to the ground floor again and searched for the security guard. They were watching some movie. I told him that water was overflowing and lot of water is going waste.

He came out of that room and pressed a red button which is next to his desk as if he knew what was going on!. It seemed to be the switch to a bore well and he sounded like he forgot to switch it off! :-) .. I was not even having the energy to ask him to be more careful the next time! :-) .. Felt thankful for the issue getting closed so soon and felt good that my reasoning which pushed me till there worked.

So it got strengthened. I said to myself again "If I find something happening the way it is not supposed to, my minimum responsibility would be to bring it to the attention of people responsible for it. From there on, the choice is theirs!"

No comments: