Friday, March 26, 2010

She said NO !

You don't believe that? Read the post and you will see I am not lying ...

IIIT Hyderabad is a place where the good always gets a push. Recently a bunch of students launched a "say no to polythene bags" campaign. Posters of "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" explaining why polythene bags should not be used were put up all over the campus. Not just that, the alternative was also provided. Cloth bags made by students at Satya Special School in Pondicherry were procured and kept for sale at Rs 15/- each. Many bags were bought by students. Then came the question, buying is one stage but how many are able to use them. To carry a cloth bag where ever you go, to plan things in advance. Some also hesitate carrying a cloth bag because might not be considered "cool" etc. How many have actually said "NO" to polythene bags was the question that was floating around.

It was exactly then that this incident came to my notice. My friend Haritha, an MS student here went for shopping in some cloth showroom. After she was done with her selection when it came to billing, the person in the counter was putting her goods into a plastic bag. Hari says "NO" .. yippee .. she said NO ! :) .. she takes out her cloth bag which she carried along with her, asks that person to put those goods in that cloth bag. The story is not over yet. That store manager was so happy with what just happened that he gave her 5% extra discount on her purchase to encourage such acts ! .. again yippee ... definitely something to celebrate right ?!
I wanted to celebrate this wonderful incident through this post ....
But yes, not always we can celebrate saying a NO ! :D .. hehehe !

20 comments:

Chetan J said...

gg haritha !

Deepthi Pola said...

wow...now thats what is called CHANGE!!!
Making people realize it and influence it!!!

Anonymous said...

nice.. :)

Rishita said...

Oh!Our Hari.Great yaa.
@Hari:Proud of you girl :)

Navya said...

@Suman: lol, you are getting more hits on this post because of the title; I hope you know that :P

@Hari: Awesome, keep it up!

avinash said...

nice post anna...
kani i expected sth else here on seeing d title...

Suman Y said...

@crazy: Yes Sir/Ma'am I know that .. that was the purpose of that title too .. if I had kept "lets stop polythene" no one would have visited ! :) ..

@avinash : Be happy that I need not have to put up such a post ! :) .. No cheppinchukovalani ledu !

Prasad said...

Hey suman, a good inspirational one .Though, I donna haritha in person , a salute piece of appreciation for her.

Let me elaborated one of masti story which i learnt

To start with, plastic bags are banned (naam ke vaste) at some places in Pune. I went to food bazaar directly from my office to get curd and milk for the dinner meal. The shop too encourages no plastic bags. Therefore, I kept the milky items[] in my jansport bag .Hmm, by the time I reached home bag was washed,infact a portion of my cool dark blue fab india shirt was dripped with the milky spots making blue color effect to the cream trouser as well .

Solution : Putting me work to wash bag, shirt n the cream trouser to wash twice.
Execution : Zindabad Zindabad, washed for an hour( RIN powder ke dannam petali).

Albeit, I’m thoda environment cautious, had a thought in my mind i.e if I carried the milk products in a simple plastic bag ( forgive me for the item idea ] could have sorted the tiring washing pain.

But i realized the environmental paritantara (No Plastics) again and again

Learnt a lesson for the garment maker only as Fab India also says ( No plastics).

Finally , the resolution I adopted was, Please carry Steel boxes to super markets when you gotta grab curd and fluid stuffs :).

Thanxs for the post from Washer man for an hour ,
Prasad

Prashant said...

How about cloth-bag vouchers? That would eliminate the need to plan in advance...

Suman Y said...

@prasad:
I have a suggestion for this ....
You can keep one plastic cover along with the cloth bag. Put all items which could leak in that cover ..

This way one can rinse the plastic cover and reuse it and not spoil the bag and clothes ..

In the current social context where curd,milk and oil are being bought in super markets, lets do the best we can ... if we can reduce upto 99% by reusing one cover for 100 times, let it be like that we can think about target 100% after reaching 99% ...

Suman Y said...

@prashant: What does cloth bag voucher mean ? Thoda elaborate karo na ..

Geetha Madhuri said...

@Hari: Which shop is it ?? .. I guess I could repeat the same thing .. for a 5% discount ;) ;) ;)

shashank said...

@suman, this is cheating. I expected something else after reading the title.
Nice post. haritha ma'm will be inspiration for all of us.

Kushal Dave said...

Hey Suman nice :)

Raul said...

Very nice.

Go green in practice. :)

GG Harita.

Unknown said...

Yay Hari!!! U Rock big time!

@Suman: Nice post..

Anonymous said...

congrats :) great to hear that, this is encouraging :)

Suman Y said...

@shashank: Congrats to you guys re who ran the campaign .. :-)

Prashant said...

I explained the idea of bag vouchers in a little details @ http://mundanejourney.blogspot.com/2010/03/idea-bag-vouchers.html

Suman Y said...

@prashanth:
Great! .. Thanks buddy .. I will read it and respond there ..